Thursday, December 8, 2011

(9) ::Authority Through Young Eyes::


When I was in elementary school, I thought of my leaders (teachers, pastors, babysitters, etc.) as the big people who were the smartest and could punish me if I didn’t listen to them.   Authority was somewhat intimidating to me, and if even was shot a stern look, I would almost be in tears.  But when I got to junior high, most authority figures started looking stupider and stupider to my adolescent eyes. 
I think that my opinion of leadership changed when I got to high school and started being put in leadership positions and realized the heart behind the leadership at my church and school.  It reminds me of when I was put into a position where I had to learn how to be a sound tech in a band.  I had assumed it would be simple, and that sound techs really don’t have to do anything except push a few buttons, but once I actually had to fill the role myself I realized that it is probably the hardest job of the band.  The same thing goes for leadership – I always assumed that leaders are just people who love being in charge of things and enjoy bossing people around.  But once I experienced being in leadership on a month long mission trip a few summers ago I realized that leadership can be an extremely lonely place to be. 
Ever since that experience, I have developed so much respect for leaders, whether I agree with them or not, because I know that they really do have the hardest job of the team. 
When I was younger I had no idea how much leaders sacrifice or how much they do to serve others.  Now that I have had a chance to grow up a bit and experience more of life, I look back on the things I said or thought about my leaders as a kid and I see how wrong I was about them.  I now have so much more respect for people who choose to step up into leadership positions even when it means not taking the easy route.  

No comments:

Post a Comment