I think that one of the biggest things that have influenced me most in my life have been my experiences with a depression/anxiety disorder. Struggling with depression has given me a much better grasp on not only my own feelings, but now I pay attention to the moods and emotions of others. The things I struggled with are not “who I am”, but learning through those things and seeing the Lord work through them has made me who I am and has brought me to where I am today.
Something, or rather, someone else who has influenced me has been my mother. This woman has not only raised three children, but she has fought battles, been a leader, been an encouragement, and been my best friend. At first glance, she seems like a sugary sweet lady, but underneath her kind exterior, she has such incredible strength that she may not even recognize in herself. When my dad got sick and couldn’t go to work, she found enough strength in herself from the Lord for everyone. She really has led me by example and has stood by me through good and bad, and has made me into the woman I am today, and continuously challenges me to grow.
When I was co-leading a music ministry team to Hong Kong last summer, it was an entirely new experience for me. I had to test things out and see how they worked with my team and my other co-leader. I had to accept responsibility for the fact that there were some areas where I was slacking off and being too passive. On that trip, I guess I kind of discovered what my leadership style was, and I saw the differences between mine and my co-leader’s leadership styles, and where we needed to compromise with each other so our team would be able to function. All of those things I experienced would never have sunk in if I wasn’t constantly reflecting on what happened every day, and seeking out new things to think about so that I could make myself into a better leader.
No comments:
Post a Comment