Monday, October 24, 2011

(5) ::The Lingo::


            When you get involved in a certain organization, you quickly begin to see that it takes on its own culture.  This is especially the case with CTI Music Ministries, a ministry I have worked with closely over the past three years.  CTI has many great values that they try to instill in the people who get involved.  Servanthood, adaptability, patience, encouragement, discipleship, and evangelism are just a few of the many values they hold.  One of the things that may take a bit of getting used to at CTI is the dress code.  When you’re a member of a CTI team, you are not only representing yourself, but you are representing the ministry, and ultimately Christ.  That being said, they ask that when you are in public or playing a concert, your appearance is put together and modest.  A few great things about any community are the inside jokes, slang, and lingo that come along with it.  If you were to hang around CTI, here are just a few phrases or words you may hear:  Green line it, shaz, de-shaz, Newland, KP, flight pack, janksy, and many more.  You may need someone on the inside to translate for you to actually understand what people are talking about! 
            I think that upbringing can have a lot to do with a person’s values and even their leadership style.  For me, I have certain values that I have been raised with because they have been important to my family for generations.  My family is one hundred percent, full blooded Dutch.  You may not think that being Dutch comes with many distinguishing characteristics or a specific set of values, but I have lived it.  One of the biggest characteristics of a Dutchman is that we are known to be stingy or cheap.  Because of that, I have always learned to only spend money on things that you need, and save as much as possible.  To this day, my parents emphasize the importance of being frugal with money, and model it in their own lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment